Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Table of Contents: 

Problem statement

  • Different information models and data models are being used amongst SDOs and open source communities resulting in fragmentation and complexity for implementation hence increased cost and delayed time to market
  • There are several barriers to collaboration amongst SDOs and Open Source communities.

Objectives

  • To review progress since the original workshop held January 2016 at CableLabs and December 2016 at Deutsche Telekom
    • Review issues that we considered important and if we didn’t make progress, understand why
    • Address work that has been done on the issues collected from the first workshop
  • Share latest understanding on how different information models and data models are impacted by NFV or are impacting NFV
  • Identify roadblocks to progress and agree how to overcome them
  • Continue to build collaboration and refresh commitment to work together to address the problem
  • Consider whether to merge with the cross-industry Network and Service Management activity (workshop orgasnized by Deutsche Telekom earlier this week)

Workshop Inputs

 

Outcomes and action items

 ActionOwnerNotes
1
-> Status update of ETSI NFV-ISG (Mar. 14) to be discussed in a call on Mar. 14.
Peter Wörndle, Klaus Martiny
How realistic? Consider Federated Information Model(s) as evolutionary step
2
LingLi Deng, Robin Mersh
Collection process?
3
-> Initial proposal (Jan.18) to be discussed in a call on Jan.24.
Mark Cummings, Nigel Davis
  • Considered a barrier due to different language in different “domains” and more generally
  • Agreed definitions of Data Model and Information Model (e.g. RFC 3444)
  • Agreed definition of “micro-services”
  • How to collect and where applicable, align nomenclature. Likely to be ongoing iterative process
4
-> Initial proposal (Mar. 14) to be discussed in a call on Mar. 14.
  • YANG: Benoit Claise, William Lupton
  • TOSCA Templates: Arthur Berezin, Shitao Li
  • Papyrus UML models: Bernd Zeuner, Augie Jagau
  • Encourage ecosystem by simplifying adoption of common models and availability of tooling
  • Document the infrastructure aspects that set the context for the tooling
  • Consider how to overcome IPR barriers
5
John Strassner, Nigel Davis
  • Analysis of overlaps and Touch Points
  • Mapping of the models
6
Alex Vul, Michael Brenner
  • When is TOSCA applicable, and when is YANG applicable?
  • How do they interact with each other?
  • Converge understanding of these aspects including consideration of modeling language
7
John Strassner, Nigel Davis
  • Separation of concerns
  • Dependency on the Domain Listing
  • Horizontal and vertical decomposition
  • Harmonizing the semantics
  • Impact of architectures (services, software, implementation architectures, etc.), e.g. Containers
8
John Strassner, Nigel Davis
 
9
Klaus Martiny, Robin Mersh, Scott Mansfield, Michel Besson, Augie Jagau
  • 3GPP (SA2, SA3), IEEE (802.1, 802.3, 802.19-Ethernet), GSMA, DMTF
  • ODL, OpenStack, OIF, Open Air Interface
10
Klaus Martiny, Don Clarke, Mark Cummings, Deng Hui
Ensure transparency & even handedness
11
Klaus Martiny
Consider adding some of these issues to the problem statement for NSM
12
Refresh the mailing lists
-> Closed
Klaus Martiny
  • Separated NSM and Information Model Lists. Potentially combine later?
  • Consult with ETSI on continuing hosting of the lists

Timeline

TimeActionNotes
End of January, 2017Decide on relationship with NSMStrategy call
Draft topic Scope StatementsDiscussion on review calls
Middle of March, 2017Initial analysis from each topicDiscussion on review calls
Early April, 2017Network & Service Management strategyDiscussion on review calls
Early June, 2017Initial proposals (something we could share)Discussion on review calls
June? or November/December, 2017?Face to face workshop 

How to join?

  • OPNFV wiki
  • ETSI NFV 

Conference call

  • January 24th, 2017 (meeting notes)
    1. Relationship with NSM (Klaus)
    2. Wiki page introduction (Tetsuya)
    3. Status update of action items (Owner)
  • March 14th, 2017 (meeting notes)
    1. Status update of action items (Owner)
    2. F2F meeting arrangement (Tetsuya)

Recently Updated

 

  • No labels