|2016||4 projects completed|
|2017 (as of Feb. 28)||2 projects completed , 6 projects in progress, 1 project looking for intern|
- Proposal to have a set start period for new internships (e.g. January, April, June/July, and September)
- Several internship projects started in December and found this to be challenging around the holidays (both for mentors and interns)
- Quarterly start periods would also help with administrative planning/work
- June/July is to accommodate "peak" periods
- Most of the projects started in Q4'2017 were for part-time internship
- Listing project artifacts on the project pages to show interns' work
- See under "Reports" at Intern Project: Dashboard Automation Framework for Pharos Community or Intern Project: testapi evolution for examples
- Started asking mentors to grade their interns from 1-5 (5 being the best e.g. you'd hire this person full-time)
- Interns have made a positive impact on OPNFV (e.g. a new Pharos lab, new tools, seeing patches being merged, answering posts on opnfv-users mailing list, etc.)
- No demand/request for part-time internships (e.g. 20 hours/week for 6 months): This maybe challenging for both interns & mentors, and leaning towards eliminating this option.
- Most of the intern projects so far took place during the Summer break period in the Northern Hemisphere (e.g. June - August)
- A good idea of have multiple mentors from the community for coverage and content expertise: Not surprisingly, a good mentorship is key to a successful internship project.
- Important to have the flexibility to adjust the project scope per intern's background & skill set.
- It would be helpful to have interns participate regularly in project or working group meetings to help them get familiar with projects and the community.
- It would be helpful to have more detailed guidelines/suggestions for the selection process on the wiki (e.g. make it clear that it is mentor's responsibility to make a selection among candidates).