To ensure CI systems are stable while also being kept up-to-date with the latest Jenkins LTS release, the following process
and general timeline is proposed in order to smoothly transition build.opnfv.org from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.
- New Jenkins system is created with new LTS version and configured to match the current Jenkins server.
- The new system and timeline of upgrade is announced to the Infra-WG. (Nov 20th. 2017)
- Any relevant issues mentioned in the change log between LTS version is discussed at the Infra-WG, while also being addressed on the new system.
For example: There is a known bug when upgrading to 2.73.x of "Randomly occurring connection failures with passphrase-protected ed25519 SSH keys".
So we would ensure that the new system isn't using ed25519 SSH keys.
A selection of PODs are connected and some selection of jobs are manually triggered. (Nov 27th - Dec 9th 2017)
This ensures all relevant plugins work and job configurations are correct, and PODs still work when connected to the new system
- If the system appears to be in order, the Infra-WG will pass along a recommendation to the TSC. (Dec 18th 2017)
- The TSC greenlights the transtion. (Dec 19th 2017)
- A downtime window is scheduled to switch the backend server for build.opnfv.org to the new host. (Jan 6th 2017)
|Nov 20th, 2017||New Jenkins system is created and configured to match the current Jenkins system|
|Nov 20th||New system and upgrade timeline is shared with the Infra-WG|
|Jan 9th - Jan 19th||Some PODs are connected and jobs are run to verify Jenkins works as intended, |
and any job issues are addressed.
|Jan 22nd||If system is working as intended, Infra-WG passes along a recommendation to TSC|
|Jan 23rd||TSC agrees/votes on transition. Downtime window is proposed|
|Options: Jan 27th, Feb 3rd, Feb 10th||Downtime window is scheduled and build.opnfv.org DNS is switched to new server.|