- Proposed name for the project:
- Proposed name for the repository: kuberef
The objective of this proposed project is to develop and deliver a Kubernetes-based reference implementation according to CNTT RA-2 in close collaboration with the CNTT RI-2 workstream.
There is a strong demand for a Kubernetes-based reference implementation (RI-2). In particular, it serves as a foundation for
- verifying design decisions and assumptions of RA-2,
- selecting and validating test cases for the RC-2 workstream and OVP 2, and
- serving as a reference platform for CNF vendors to develop and test against.
The reference implementation should be hosted in OPNFV to facilitate the development work as follows. The project...
- acts as a home for implementation specific discussions beyond the reference specs defined in the CNTT RI-2 workstream,
- provides a project repository for code,
- is a consumer of OPNFV CI/CD resources (Jenkins jobs) and community labs.
The RI-2 implementation will be based on Intel's Bare Metal Reference Architecture for Kubernetes which was brought forward to CNTT as an official contribution proposal in March 2020.
The project was presented and discussed in the OPNFV Tech Discuss meeting on (see slides).
The scope of the project will be split in two phases:
- Short & mid-term: In this phase, the main purpose of the project is to provide the reference implementation for CNTT RI-2 and OVP 2.0.
- Mid- & long-term: In this phase, the project can expand its scope for additional Cloud Native work beyond RI-2.
Relationship to CNTT and RA-2 requirements:
The project does not intend to define requirements relevant to CNTT. Instead, if experimental evidence shows that requirements in RA2 need to be add / modified / removed, this information is forwarded to the RA-2 workstreams in CNTT. Specifically:
- The reference implementation will be subject to testing using OPNFV and CNCF test tools to validate its compliance to RA-2.
- All end-user facing documentation will be hosted in the RI-2 specification hosted in CNTT's github repository.
- CNTT Rx-2 workstreams
- OVP 2.0 and its respective workstreams
- CNCF infrastructure deployment and management projects
- CNCF testing projects
- OPNFV testing projects (Functest healthcheck, etc.)
Committers and Contributors:
- Names and affiliations of the committers
- The key deliverable of the project in its first phase is a Kubernetes-based reference implementation according to CNTT RA-2.
Proposed Release Schedule:
- The project will be aligned with the new OPNFV release process as well as CNTT releases.
Key Project Facts
Project Name: kuberef
Repo name: kuberef
Jira Project Name: kuberef
Jira Project Prefix: [kuberef]
mailing list tag [kuberef]
*Link to TSC approval: Example http://meetbot.opnfv.org/meetings/opnfv-meeting/2015/opnfv-meeting.2015-03-03-15.01.html*
Link to approval of additional submitters: Example http://meetbot.opnfv.org/meetings/opnfv-meeting/2015/opnfv-meeting.2015-03-03-15.01.html