• Proposed name for the project: Sample Virtual Network Function
• Proposed name for the repository: samplevnf
This project provides a placeholder for various sample VNF (Virtual Network Function) development which includes example reference architecture and optimization methods related to VNF/Network service for high performance VNFs. This project provides benefits to other OPNFV projects like Functest, Models, yardstick etc to perform real life use-case based testing and NFVi characterization for the same.
The sample VNFs are Open Source approximations* of Telco grade VNF’s using optimized VNF + NFVi Infrastructure libraries, with Performance Characterization of Sample† Traffic Flows.
• * Not a commercial product. Encourage the community to contribute and close the feature gaps.
• † No Vendor/Proprietary Workloads
It helps to facilitate deterministic & repeatable bench-marking on Industry standard high volume Servers. It augments well with a Test Infrastructure to help facilitate consistent/repeatable methodologies for characterizing & validating the sample VNFs through OPEN SOURCE VNF approximations and test tools. The VNFs belongs to this project are never meant for field deployment. All the VNF source code part of this project requires Apache License Version 2.0.
OPNFV use cases and benefits:
Due to lack of open source VNF, most of OPNFV projects currently do not have any real world use-case driven testing. With Sample VNFs, OPNFV projects like FuncTest, yardstick, model project perform use-case driven testing and help customers to adopt the OPNFV in VNF/NFVi characterization and bench-marking.
The Scope of samplevnf project as follows
- To create a repository of sample VNFs to help VNF benchmarking and NFVi characterization with real world traffic.
- Host a common development environment for developing the VNF using optimized libraries
- Integrate into CI tool chain and existing test frameworks for VNF feature and deployment testing
Testing and integration:
Network Service Testing framework added into the yardstick will be used as a test tool to Functional/Performance verify of all the sample VNFs. The VNFs will not have any conformance testing requirements against standards.
Debugging and Tracing
Each of the VNFs will have a command line interface to enable different debugging mode and execute commands.
Unit/Integration Test plans
Network Service Testing framework added into the yardstick will be used as a test tool to functional/Performance verify of all the Sample VNFs.
List of features and functionality will be developed
To begin with the following VNFs will be added to this project.
- CG-NAT (Carrier Grade Network Address Translation) VNF
- Firewall (vFW) VNF
- Provider Edge router (vPE) VNF
- Access Control List (vACL) VNF
- Next Generation Infrastructure Core (NGIC) VNF aka vEPC-SAE-GW VNF
Detailed Tech Briefs for individual VNFs are available @ Technical Briefs of VNFs
Refer to etherpad https://etherpad.opnfv.org/p/samplevnf for vnf features which will be added and developed for further releases.
VNFs will run on Baremetal/Standalone virtualization/Managed (orchestrated) environments etc to help characterizing sample VNFs for a given real life use-case.
All the current sample VNFs for initial release is based on DPDK. However the project doesn't restrict DPDK as a strict requirement for VNF development.
Project will be extended to include control plane VNFs, feature enhancements to perform network services testing.
Encourage different VNF vendors to add more features and actively participate in the sample VNF development and also drive more usecase based testing in OPNFV.
Network Service Testing framework added into the yardstick will be used as a test tool for Functional/Performance verification of all the sample VNFs.
Planning to extend the same to FuncTest and Models project to include the testcases related to sample VNFs.
Design documentation for each of the Sample VNFs
rst & Doxygen based API Docs explaining in details about lower level code etc.
OPNFV projects of FuncTest, Models, yardstick and ETSI Standards
• Integration of Network Service Testing into yardstick.
Committers and Contributors:
• Shang xiaodong (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Contributors: (proposed)
• Deepak S (Intel, email@example.com)
• Sonika Jindal (intel, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Anand B Jyoti (intel, email@example.com)
• Vishwesh M Rudramuni (Intel, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Bindya Narayan (intel, email@example.com)
• Gunaseelan Venkatachary (HCL, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Anandaraman Viswanathan (HCL, email@example.com)
• Rajaraman Balasubramanian (HCL, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Vasantha kumar Godithi (HCL, email@example.com)
Requirement, Design specification and Test specification documents of each VNF
Source code Repository
Testcases integrated to Functest, Models and Yardstick
Proposed Release Schedule:
Targeting to push all the samplevnf code in March'17
Requirement document will catch up with OPNFV Release E
Integration plan will be aligned with OPNFV E release
Key Project Facts
Project Name: Sample Virtual Network Function
Repo name: samplevnf
Primary Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Lead: email@example.com
Jira Project Name: samplevnf
Jira Project Prefix: [samplevnf ]
mailing list tag [samplevnf ]