- Proposed name for the project: OpenRetriever
- Proposed name for the repository: openretriever
Project “OpenRetriever” creates and composes a set of scenarios which include containers like Docker/Rocket and so on. Allow VNF to run on a set of containers and/or VMs. OpenRetriever can make the platform to manage container and virtual machine.
VNF which is running on cloud need to be a cloud native application, micro-service designed. Meanwhile, container is one of the most suitable technology to run micro-service application
VNF should scale up in short time. Container is a suitable technology to reduce the time from several minutes to several seconds.
- Container can make the VNF deployment much quicker.
- Container orchestration engines (COE) can reduce the effort to accomplish HA. If using Kubernetes, replication can fulfill the requirement.
- Some applications belong at the edge: WAN Acceleration, Content Cacheing, and depending on your philosophy, Container's light property is best choice for it.
- There are several architecture options to support containers in different VIM-s. These are listed here: Analyzis of architecture options.
OR focuses on how non-virtual-machine based VNF run in NFV. It includes container and unikernels. The target of this project is let VNF can run on any platform including OpenStack, Kubernetes, Mesos and so on. The project doesn’t cover the internal architecture of a VNF.
1. Add Kuryr and Magnum into installers
2. Container for NFV. The main function is to increase the performance of container and container platform.
3. Set up an environment which can support container and unikernel.
4. A new scheduler that can schedule a mix of all three types (virtual machine, container, unikernel) of instances.
5. Analyse the gap for OpenStack, Installer, Kubernetes, MANO.
- Key work items include:
1) The requirement of OpenStack, Installer, Kubernetes, MANO
2) The requirement of Nextgen VIM Scheduler.
3) The user guide: Set up an environment which can support container and unikernels.
2. Scripts : Common scripts to let container be integrated into OPNFV
3. Testing: Provide for Functest , Yardstick etc.
- Upstream projects:
Committers and Contributors:
- Project Leader: Xuan Jia ( email@example.com )
Csatari, Gergely ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Lijun ( email@example.com )
Wassim Haddad ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Heikki Mahkonen ( email@example.com )
Amar Kapadia ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Sriram Rupanagunta ( email@example.com )
Peng Yu ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Xuan Jia ( email@example.com )
- Meets all OPNFV requirements of OPNFV platform
- Documentation and User Guide
- Scripts : integrated container in Openstack
Proposed Release Schedule:
- It will not be participating in the D-release, but will have a number of work items: collaborate with installers.
- For future release, it provides a container environment to fulfill the requirement of VNFs..
Key Project Facts
Project Name: Container Integrated For NFV (OpenRetriever)
Repo name: openretriever
Lifecycle State: Incubation
Primary Contact: Xuan Jia ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Project Lead: Xuan Jia ( email@example.com )
Jira Project Name: Container Integrated For NFV
Jira Project Prefix: [container
mailing list tag [openretriever]
Link to TSC approval of the project:
Link to expand the scope of the project:
Link to NGVS proposal:
Requrements generated by the NGVS sub-group:
Proposed NGVS stack aka Carrier-Grade Kubernetes: