VNF Deployment Test cases
An Integration & Testing project category
The first release of the OPNFV project is aimed at open source component integration to form the NFVI platform for VNF hosting and for basic NFVI platform performance measurements. A set of simple use cases are required to provide focus and drive for the project to meet these goals. These use cases should meet the following requirements:
- OPNFV Platform Integration
- OPNFV Platform Basic Performance Measurements
OPNFV Platform Integration
The requirement here is to have use case(s) that originates the tests required to verify the OPNFV Platform. The testing is basically to verify the integration of the components like Openstack, ODL, KVM etc., to form a cohesive platform using which one could stand up a VNF.
OPNFV Platform Basic Performance Measurement
The requirement here is to make some basic performance measurement done that exposes the performance bottle necks and identify future improvements and enhancements required for a deploy-able NFV platform.
The ETSI use cases document lists a wide range of use cases. After a review of this document, followed by some level of discussion with the network operators, the following high level use cases are selected for meeting the above requirements:
- Standup a Virtual Provider Edge (section 6.3)
- Standup a EPC Network Function, MME or PGW (section 9.3)
- Standup a Content Delivery Network, CDN Node (Section 12.3)
- Standup a Home Gateway, NAT, ALG, RGW etc. (section 11.3)
For more details about these use cases, please refer to the above reference:
These use cases can be achieved using open source VNFs, custom simulators those mimic the traffic patterns exhibited by the above network devices and finally using some Vendors VNF.
This project enables the integration testing of the OPNFV platform that is built using the open source components. In addition, the project enables performance measurement that exposes the limitations and bottlenecks present in the infrastructure software and hardware. These efforts enables the OPNFV platform to be designed on solid open source infrastructure as well as meet the demanding needs of network services and operations.
Interface and API
The project does not propose any new API specification. The project uses the standard open source component APIs from openstack, ODL, KVM etc. The project will test out these component APIs and their applicability for a stand alone NFV use cases identified above. The exact APIs set under test are Here
Testing and integration
OPNFV Platform Integration Macro Test Plan
The goal of the infrastructure integration testing is to verify the integration of the infrastructure components like openstack, ODL etc. This following macro test scenarios are specified to verify this integration requirement:
- Install and bring-up verification of the test system
- On-boarding of the Service VNF Descriptor
- Defining the Day 0 Configuration for the VNF
- Deployment of the Service
- Defining the Day 1 Configuration of the VNF
- Verification of the Service characteristics
OPNFV Platform Basic Performance Measurement Macro Test Plan
The goal of this Use case is to verify the delivered performance by the infrastructure. The macros test cases for this use case is built on top of the above use case. These are as follows:
- VNF Orchestration and deployment time
- VNF boot up time
- VNF Network performance
- VNF Compute performance
- VNF Hyper-visor performance
- VNF Storage performance
Debugging and Tracing
Unit/Integration Test plans
Client tools developed for status shows etc.
Identity a list of features and functionality will be developed.
Identify what is in or out of scope. So during the development phase, it helps reduce discussion.
Describe how the project is extensible in future
Specify testing and integration like interoperability, scalability, high availablity
What QA and test resources will be available?
- No Similar project identified.
- The project completion requires the integration of open source components specified below:
- Depends on the Continuous Integration Plan
- Depends on the Hardware and Software Integration Plan
Commiters and Contributors
This project will deliver the following:
- Use cases document
- Macro Test cases driven by the use cases
- Micro test cases driven by the Macro Test cases
- Performance measurement metrics
Proposed Release Schedule
This project proposal is for the first release of the OPNFV platform.
1. ETSI GS NFV 001 V1.1.1: Network Function Virtualization; Use cases