Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes of Technical Community Discussion on May 19, 2016

  • Date and Time: 6:00am PDT / UTC 13:00, Thursday May 19, 2016
  • Convener: Bin Hu (AT&T)
  • Participants:
    • Al Morton (AT&T)
    • Alok Gupta (AT&T)
    • Bryan Sullivan (AT&T)

    • Carlos Goncalves (NEC)

    • Dan Druta (AT&T)

    • Dave Neary (RedHat)
    • Frank Brockners (Cisco)
    • Jie Hu (ZTE)
    • Julien Zhang (ZTE)
    • Larry Lamers (VMWare)

    • Mark D Gray (Intel)
    • Mark Szczesniak (Casa)
    • Maryam Tahhan (Intel)
    • Prakash Ramchandran (Huawei)

    • Stuart Mackie (Juniper)

    • Weidong Shao (Huawei)
    • Zhijiang Hu (ZTE)

 

Active Project Proposal Discussion

Zhijiang (ZTE) introduced project proposal Daisy for NFV.

Frank B (Cisco) asked if the author has considered integrating Kolla with any existing OPNFV installers, such as Fuel or Apex or Juju or Compass? Containerization is good, but it is orthogonal rather than complementary. We already have 4 installers and hard to maintain them.

Zhijiang responded that Kolla extension can be reused by other installers.

Mark (Intel) indicated that Fuel seems already support Kolla.

Zhijiang responded that this new installer is needed to deploy ODL container.

Frank further asked if we indeed need a new installer, or we just need to extend an existing installer. We need to answer why we need another new installer. Containerization is a good thing, but not necessarily need a new installer.

Bryan (AT&T) indicated that one issue today is the unpredictable end-state of different installers. We need to have discussion on how to consolidate so that user can choose desired end-state consistently across different installers.

Frank asked another question that all contributors are from one company. We need variety of contributors for the sake of community interest.

Prakash (Huawei) asked if they use Ansible, similar to Compass.

Zhijiang said yes, Ansible is used.

Prakash suggested Zhijiang to talk to Weidong via open discussion on the mailing list.

Action item is for Zhijiang to open discussion on mailing list regarding:

  1. Unique value of Daisy installer, i.e. what are the gaps with other installers and thus Daisy is needed to fill in the gaps where other existing installers cannot do
  2. Get community support by having more diversified contributors.

 

Bryan (AT&T) introduced more details of the project proposal.

Frank asked how to get data to VES Agent.

Alok (AT&T) answered that VES Agent is a software library part of VNFC.

Frank further asked how the API looks like

Alok further responded that those are C++ library calls. But the first step is to build the framework and get community's feedback.

Maryam asked what "standardized" really mean.

Bryan answered that it means the open source solution as a de-facto standard. We are also aligning with SDOs, e.g. TMF.

Maryam further asked if we need a separate collector.

Alok indicated that options include feeding data directly to OpenStack

Maryam asked how far is the scope of the project.

Bryan said that we are focusing on collecting and reporting. Processing and triage is out of scope. If we can agree on a common data format, it will be good.

Because of time constraints, the meeting was automatically terminated at 7:00am PDT.

Meeting adjourned.

  • No labels