Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting info can be found in the calendar. Caution, the time in calendar is given in UTC.

Meeting is held on zoom: https://zoom.us/j/5014627785


Dec 03 2019, 5 pm UTC



Nov 26 2019, 5 pm UTC

  • stepping down

Nov 19 2019, 5 pm UTC

Oct 15 2019, 4pm UTC

Oct 01 2019, 4 pm UTC

  • collectd 5.9.2 released today
  • still relying on python 2?
    • need to look at functest as well

Sep 17 2019, 4 pm UTC

  • names for J and K release
  • MS1 is coming up on Sept 30.  Please submit your release plan here.
  • collectd 5.9.2 release due asap, please test collect-5.9 branch.
  • mrunge: I will be out Sep 24 and on Oct 08.

Sep 10 2019, 4pm UTC

  • Participate in Iruya, traditional release
    • integrated into any installer
    • use stable releases
  • Collectd user community: End User working group
  • No meeting on Sep 24th, unless we have someone to host the meeting.

Sep 03 2019, 4pm UTC

  • Participate in Iruya release?
    • traditional release track
    • continous delivery track
    • both?
    • action: pull more info from David re: continuous delivery track and requirements for us.
  • Iruya to be released in Dec.

Aug 27, 2019, 4pm UTC

  • question was brought up on PMU and RAS included in Barometer and how to measure QPI.
    • RAS is named mcelog plugin in collectd.


Aug 20, 2019, 4pm UTC



Aug 06, 2019, 4pm UTC

  • opens?
  • under discussion: delay Iruya release to 2020?

July 30, 2019, 4pm UTC

  • any opens?
  • collectd-5.9.1 was released July 24th
  • collectd-5.9.2 soon to bugs (related to ssnprintf-fix)
    • rrdtool broken
    • iptables broken
    • release tarball contains dir named collectd-collectd-5.9.1
  • send out a mail to collectd mailing list regarding collectd relases 5.9.0 and 5.9.1, recommend to use 5.9.2, and that it is due soon.

July 23, 2019, 4pm UTC

July 09, 2019, 4pm UTC

July 02, 2019, 4 pm UTC


June 18, 2019, 4 pm UTC

June 11, 2019, 4 pm UTC

June 04, 2019, 4 pm UTC


May 21, 2019, 4 pm UTC

  • report from CLA WG
  • remove outdated containers
  • write up a vision document until next meeting
  • add a note about supportability etc. in docs.
  • feature planning for next release 

May 14, 2019, 9 am UTC

  • fix for anteater https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/#/c/67799/ still unreviewed
  • Hunter stable branched tonight, Hunter was released last Friday
  • this  meeting slot not much used, attendance later (in the US slot) much higher.
  • agreement: move the meeting back to 4 pm UTC, have async meetings for APAC folks.
  • VESPA, small bridge between prometheus and VES

May 07, 2019, 4 pm UTC

  • anteater issue, eg, with https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/#/c/67787/
  • Hunter release, changes due soon
  • missed creating Hunter stable branch, discussed pros and cons of merging patches and then create a branch.
  • CLA WG update
    • request for demo
    • request for elasticsearch use case desription
  • will move keep the meeting in this (late) slot, APAC meetings were rarely attended by people from that region.
    • Idea is to have an additional meeting for APAC every 4(?) weeks to accommodate.

Apr 30, 2019, 9 AM UTC

Apr 09, 2019, will be in the late slot.



Apr 02, 2019

  • Open Networking Summit Apr 3 - 5
  • collectd release due, send a follow-up on to the mailing list, changelog is complete.
  • VES-update still in the queue

Mar 26, 2019

  • This kind of meeting notes is hard to follow. I/we should improve
  • Sunku shared the closed loop platform architecture, we talked about the system architecture, and since this touches lots of other OPNFV projects, also how to integrate with these projects.


Mar 19, 2019

Mar 12, 2019




Mar 05, 2019



Feb 26, 2019



Feb 12, 2019

  • https://wiki.opnfv.org/display/SWREL/Hunter+Scenario+Status scenarios: do we want them?
  • apex integration "planned", but not listed right now.
    • Follow-up with Akhila on that topic
  • docs: what is up to date, and what is not?
  • jenkins
    • hunter jobs missing
  • evolving scope of barometer?
    • into analytics
    • concerned about missing innovation
    • evolution required


January, 29 2019

  • Caution: next meeting will be at 10 am UTC (alternating with late meeting)

January 22, 2019


    • demonstrate SA in a box using a set of metrics/events internally to AT&T to cut down the costs
    • Take it through ECOMP control loop -> then define set of metrics for automation 
    • Alok will share findings as they progress
    • working with Intel team to go through setup details
  • its in line with how TST008 spec written. The spec provides what additional info to be included for a set of technology/feature to go with the plugin



January 15, 2019

  • barometer-kolla integration
  • ves updates still pending
  • alerting via prometheus/alertmanager
    • snmp traps


January 08, 2019

    • ves updates
    • minimal service assurance demo working out-of-the box
    • collectd container on dockerhub is 5.8.0
    • bar-collectd vs. barometer-collectd (duplication, description needed)
    • benchmarking of collectd?

December 18, 2018


December 11, 2018



Lightning Talk Notes

  • What is Barometer?
    • A project for building a scalable metrics platform for NFV environments and enables the monitoring of infrastructure that hosts our virtual network functions (VNFs).
    • We can monitor platform components like CPU, memory, load, cache, thermals, fan speeds, voltages and machine check exceptions
    • We’re including both the tools such as collectd and the installation utilities along with the definition of metrics and events that are critical for NFV infrastructure monitoring, because the tools without definitions is not a solution.
    • Focus is on collection of metrics, not necessarily the storage or analysis of data. We leave that up to higher level orchestration systems to leverage the data for business logic and decision making. We can leverage things like machine learning and big data analytics to provide proactive changes rather than reactive (traditional monitoring), but our involvement in that is at the collection of metrics and events.
    • Standards involvement -- TST_008 / IFA_027
  • Why use barometer?
    • Leverages collectd for metrics and events gathering. It’s robust with a strong upstream community and has been around for several years, meaning that it’s a stable application to build from with a lot of functionality.
    • Extensible through the plugin framework, and we’ve been adding functionality over the last several months to solve for use cases that weren’t previously solved for.
    • Can be used wherever Linux is available, including whitebox switches and routers.
  • What are we solving for?
    • Providing an implementation of collectd in cloud platform environments that are implementing for NFV so that we can find deficiencies and further enhance collectd through the plugin system
  • Who is using barometer?
    • Red Hat is leveraging the work done in the barometer project within the service assurance framework in order to provide the various metrics and events required by telco operators, edge providers, cloud providers, and other highly available environments.
    • Used by both OPNFV Yardstick for test analysis and OPNFV Bottlenecks
  • How can I use barometer?
    • Barometer is being packaged as a Docker container, so it’s easy to install into your environment without a lot of risk.
    • Also have influxdb container image to show an implementation with data storage


December 04, 2018


November 27, 2018

November 20, 2018

  • There's going to be a Plugfest in early January. Unclear if anyone from Barometer is going to attend
  • Release plan discussion
    • Barometer Release Plan
      • Improvements in documentation
      • Add support for alternative TSDB like prometheus
      • apex integration?
      • install mcelog manually/from ansible; Ubuntu 18.04 apparently dropped the daemon from default install
      • change ansible playbooks to allow configuration of "container type" to be installed: master (from collectd master), experimental (collectd master + selected patches), stable (latest collectd release)
      • Barometer cloud native support: gRPC plugin of collectd to integrate with projects like clover


November 13, 2018

  • Builds mostly working.

    • DPDK still not installed correctly, however, have been able to merge remaining Gerrit items as they are not dependent on DPDK.  

    • Trevor is still working on the getting DPDK ready.

  • Merged blocked items into stable/gambia

  • Release Items

    • Complete Testing 12/5

    • Update Docs / JIRA Cleanup 12/6

    • Tag Repos / Release 12/7

    • Release Report

    • Writing release notes for gambia

    • Was able to complete Milestone 7, Stable Branch after build fix

    • Updating Milestone 9, Final documentation

    • Gambia 7.0 was 11/2

    • Gambia 7.1

    • For those projects that publish docker images, I have noticed that there are some Gambia jobs missing.

    • X86_64 (from releng/jjb/releng/opnfv-docker.yaml):

    • ·         Barometer

    • ·         Clover

    • ·         NFVBench


    • Basically, you just need to edit the file and change frasier to gambia for your specific artifacts.

  • Collectd Updates

    • Octo has been providing reviews

    • Rubenik as well

  • Election

    • Unless I missed a nomination, Matthias Runge will be the sole candidate.

    • Barometer committers will be able to vote on a Gerrit Issue.

    • Since there is only one candidate.  Simple voting.

    • Assumption is that Matthias will preside over the meeting next week

    • Need to organize a JIRA cleanup with Matthias and go over different aspects.

  • FOSDEM

    • Need a room for meetup

    • Nothing available at Red hat

    • Intel, still checking

    • Around 20 people

    • Best idea is to rent a room (share expense between companies)

    • Contact Emma (FOSDEM)

    • Contact Google as well (Octo)

  • Cloud Native

    • Clover

    • gRPC call

    • Prometheus collection

    • ISTIO / Service Mesh

    • gRPC plugin in collectd

    • Go to Clover wiki…

October 23, 2018

  • Build currently broken due to an issue with the build machine.  DPDK seems to have gone missing.

  • Al

    • Added Hugepages to the TST008 document

  • Mathias

    • Talked with CERN team who uses collectd

    • Like the stability, but also frustrated by slowness

    • Have a patch submitted for notification metadata

  • Release

    • All work should be submitted at this point

    • Maybe one additional bug

October 16, 2018

Meeting Minutes:

  • Another week for finishing documentation of docker container install
  • Verifying the manual steps now.
  • Target end of week, beginning of next week.
  • Agenda:
  • Release status
    • Need a stable branch


October 09, 2018

Meeting Minutes:

  • collectd documentation
    • DPDK
      • Is it considered open source?
      • Is there anything specific to DPDK or are they just mirroring standard parameters?
        • I.e. Is there overlap?  
      • Should add DPDK specific metrics!
    • DPDK telemetry
      • DPDKSTATs replacement
      • Maybe have a small presentation at a later date for input.
    • REDFISH?
    • MCELOG
    • RAS – x86 specific
    • RDT – x86 specific

Agenda:

  • Release status
    • Need a stable branch
  • Tour of Prometheus 

October 02, 2018

Meeting minutes:

  • Need a JIRA item for Ansible scripts
    • Remaining documentation for Ansible scripts
    • 1,2 issues – scaling, etc...  
    • One command install
    • Moved to Centos 5.7 / Ubuntu 18.04
    • Show internal – One click install
  • Demo
    • Video – 5 minutes to monitoring your NFVi
  • Prometheus waiting on Ansible
  • Participation in https://openmetrics.io/


Notes from last meeting:

Demo from Barometer:

-       Possibly create a demo and record it?

-       Demo around containers/VM with metrics

-       Float around few ideas, get comments over next calls

-       Find a new way to use Barometer, would be good

-       Demo ideas:

  • Barometer for system tests/debugging.
    • Look at network interfaces, OVS stats, etc., to track whats happening in an openstack deployment
  • Need to know if there are any openstack deployments already available in opnfv pods
  • Have a real time demo to show graphana dashboards in opnfv pods 

Agenda:

  1. Status of Release
    1. What do we want in the release?
    2. virt plugin enhancements

      Virt plugin should be enhanced to provide the following additional details:

      Release GXX

      BAROMETER-99 - Virt plugin enhancement -- VM names OPEN

      ovs-dpdk-statsThe ovs-dpdk-stats plugin should include extended dpdk stats per interfaceRelease GXX

      BAROMETER-96 - Enable OVS-DPDK PMD Statistics OPEN

      ovs-dpdk-events link statusThe ovs-dpdk-events plugin should indicate link status change eventsRelease GXX

      BAROMETER-109 - ovs-events link status OPEN

      DMA Functionality

      The DMA Local Agent will provide the following features:

      • Local processing of metrics – Allows metrics to be sampled at a higher rate than storage rate for detection of short-lived conditions.
      • Runtime configuration of collectd – Collectd configuration can be managed remotely with the Local Agent providing the writing of collectd configuration and collectd restart.
      • Simple OpenStack metadata discovery – Provide runtime information related to the mapping between virtual and physical elements.  The metadata can be attached to metric sent by collectd.
      Release GXX

      BAROMETER-95 - The DMA project will provide additional functional for the Barometer project OPEN

      DMA ContainerAdd DMA container buildRelease GXX

      BAROMETER-94 - The DMA project will exist as a container separate from the collectd container OPEN

      Collectd ovs_stats plugin does not collect dpdk interface statistics if under bond interface

      The ovs stats plugin collects the right set of data in case the dpdk interfaces are mapped directly under the ovs bridge. But for the use case where a bonding interface is needed underneath the ovs bridge, ovs stats cannot pull the dpdk interface statistics.


      Release GXX


      BAROMETER-92 - Collectd ovs_stats plugin does not collect dpdk interface statistics if under bond interface OPEN

    3. Original plan stalled by no release from Collectd.  
    4. virt plugin enhancements – Complete waiting on release
    5. ovs-dpdk-stats – 
    6. DMA Functionality - In progress
    7. DMA Container - In progress
    8. Collectd ovs_stats plugin does not collect dpdk interface statistics if under bond interface – completed waiting on release

  2. Participation in https://openmetrics.io/

Updates from last week:

-       Changed the Kolla container to include almost all Collectd plugins, taken from latest stable branch

  • Plugins are still taken from RPM build, relying on release version of Collectd
  • Not included plugins would gaming plugins, etc.
  • This is a great progress

-       No new updates about community release of Collectd

  • Intel team will prioritize backporting once Ansible script work is done

-       Collectd code reviews:

  • Lot of PRs, will take some time
  • The DPDK patch got merged, need to backport to 5.8
  • Sunku will ask the patch author to backport

-       Ansible scripts work:

  • Testing/validation on Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 & Centos 7.5
  • Centos 7.3 had docker issues, related to docker missing packages
  • Latest docker Images is based on 7.5.3
  • Centos 7.5 images (qcow2) have different naming scheme, very similar to Ubuntu 18.04
  • There shouldn’t be any regressions, upgrading from 7.3 to 7.5.
  • We can look in to if we need to on 7.3
  • Require your help to review as patches are upstreamed

-       Milestone 8 – Oct 30th

  • Its not being pushed back

-       Review help:

  • Have 4 to 5 reviews pending in Barometer gerrit
  • Require reviews
  • Prometheus and Barometer
    • Should Barometer participate in the standardization effort under way in Prometheus.  (Yes!)
          • Driven by Prometheus for data format
          • Mentioned at Fosdem & Prometheus conference
          • Standard is named as open metrics, submitted to IEEE
          • Gone quite far, need 3 implementations of metrics format for this standard
          • Google is doing one implementation, 2nd one by Prometheus community
          • Trying to standardize data exchange format
          • While Prometheus only supports metrics, standards also supports logs.
          • Value of all this info is the correlation part
          • Matthias would send more info.
          • Need to make sure it wont impact our implementations of metrics in hardware/infrastructure level
          • The community is not generally attuned to lower layers.
    • Bring Barometer’s experience in monitoring the infrastructure.
    • End result could be too PaaSy ;)


09/25/2018

Meeting minutes:

Demo from Barometer:

-       Possibly create a demo and record it?

-       Demo around containers/VM with metrics

-       Float around few ideas, get comments over next calls

-       Find a new way to use Barometer, would be good

-       Demo ideas:

  • Barometer for system tests/debugging.
    • Look at network interfaces, OVS stats, etc., to track whats happening in an openstack deployment
  • Need to know if there are any openstack deployments already available in opnfv pods
  • Have a real time demo to show graphana dashboards in opnfv pods


Updates:

-       Changed the Kolla container to include almost all Collectd plugins, taken from latest stable branch

  • Plugins are still taken from RPM build, relying on release version of Collectd
  • Not included plugins would gaming plugins, etc.
  • This is a great progress

-       No new updates about community release of Collectd

  • Intel team will prioritize backporting once Ansible script work is done

-       Collectd code reviews:

  • Lot of PRs, will take some time
  • The DPDK patch got merged, need to backport to 5.8
  • Sunku will ask the patch author to backport

-       Ansible scripts work:

  • Testing/validation on Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 & Centos 7.5
  • Centos 7.3 had docker issues, related to docker missing packages
  • Latest docker Images is based on 7.5.3
  • Centos 7.5 images (qcow2) have different naming scheme, very similar to Ubuntu 18.04
  • There shouldn’t be any regressions, upgrading from 7.3 to 7.5.
  • We can look in to if we need to on 7.3
  • Require your help to review as patches are upstreamed

-       Milestone 8 – Oct 30th

  • Its not being pushed back

-       Review help:

  • Have 4 to 5 reviews pending in Barometer gerrit
  • Require reviews


  • Gambia release behindRelease Plan Items
  • https://jira.opnfv.org/browse/BAROMETER-99
  • https://jira.opnfv.org/browse/BAROMETER-96
  • Ansible scripts update
    • https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/#/c/61575/5
    • Need to have the experimental Barometer container
      • Need a place to send interested parties so they can try out newest features
      • Early feedback is key
      • Showing the host naming in virt plugin in experimental container would be good.
      • If we have hardware, we can have virtualized RDO installed quickly in barometer opnfv pod
        • A simple 1 controller/1 compute node running barometer container each, also on the pod host itself would be good to show metrics collection across all layers.
        • Listing the steps in barometer wiki would be helpful
        • Possibly have a packstack installation on a single machine.
  • Prometheus and Barometer
    • Should Barometer participate in the standardization effort under way in Prometheus.  (Yes!)
          • Driven by Prometheus for data format
          • Mentioned at Fosdem & Prometheus conference
          • Standard is named as open metrics, submitted to IEEE
          • Gone quite far, need 3 implementations of metrics format for this standard
          • Google is doing one implementation, 2nd one by Prometheus community
          • Trying to standardize data exchange format
          • While Prometheus only supports metrics, standards also supports logs.
          • Value of all this info is the correlation part
          • Matthias would send more info.
          • Need to make sure it wont impact our implementations of metrics in hardware/infrastructure level
          • The community is not generally attuned to lower layers.
    • Bring Barometer’s experience in monitoring the infrastructure.
    • End result could be too PaaSy ;)


09/18/2018

    • Introductions: Vinay Kumar
      • Joined with RedHat, Metrics & Monitoring.
      • Looking in to Gnocchi, AODH, Ceilometer, etc. Interested in integrating Collectd with OpenStack.
    • Necessity of gRPC interface for collectd.
      • Clover project and cloud native WG have proposal to integrate most of OPNFV projects with gRPC interface.
      • GRPC is hot, good thing is binary format is very compact, while http is very verbose using up a lot of bandwidth
      • ONAP talks a lot on using GRPC instead of kafka
      • No downside on having GRPC
      • Good to float the idea within Collectd community
      • Florian & others added in write_prometheus, to enable cloud native
        • It creates a scrape target
        • Superior from Collectd exporter from Prometheus itself
      • Real key is to provide correlation between app metrics and infrastructure metrics. Have them be in common data definitions & timestamps.
        • Collectd timestamps are when metrics are generated
        • Prometheus timestamp is when it gets scraped
        • There is a disconnect
      • We need to keep reminding CN folks about correlation on time/locality, between virtual/physical
      • Need to check for direct integration between Jaeger and Collectd
      • A list of metrics/capabilities through node_exporter in Prometheus might be helpful.
        • Strengths, missing metrics?
        • Get stuff in to node_exporter?
        • CN folks might know as they are from different community than OpenStack, as there are different tools, etc.
      • Aaron to help us out here to get started! 
      • Al to contribute here.
    • Importance of having “hostname” as uniform reporting instead of IPv4 address:
      • Memcached plugin is special -> provide both hostname & IPv4 address. Opened a PR in PuppetCollectd to fix proper reporting.
      • It would be good to have additional text along with hostname, like rack name, tag datacenters
      • Need to work with plugin authors

September 11, 2018

September 04, 2018


 

08/28/2018

08/21/2018

 

08/14/2018


08/07/2018

07/30/2018

·        Dev Updates

o   https://jira.opnfv.org/browse/BAROMETER-106

[ELF] Patches created; waiting internal approval to upstream

o   https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/#/c/59635/

§  Write redis plugin enable

§  Need +1

o   https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/#/c/59209/

o   Upcoming milestones

§  MS6 -- August 24

·        Test cases implemented, preliminary documentation completed, and stable branch open

·        Need to have development “mostly” complete by then

[ELF] Major feature should at least be proposed and partly reviewed at this time.

Functest support should be mostly done (tests upstreamed for collectd-plugins), bug fixes are okay after this date but no new tests.

§  MS7 -- September 14

·        Stable branch window close

·        Need feedback on the following list of collect plugins

o   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=POST&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=ON_DEV&bug_status=ON_QA&bug_status=VERIFIED&component=collectd&known_name=collectd-all&list_id=9166173&product=Red%20Hat%20OpenStack&query_based_on=collectd-all&query_format=advanced

o   Feedback will help prioritize work

·        Need to offer help to collectd to get the next release out (5.9)  

o   Contact maintainers and ask “what can I do to help?”

o   Also, join #collectd on Freenode if possible

[ELF] Not likely to be available for Gambia, given that we would need to provide config, docs, validation in Barometer once it is closed; However, we should continue to help.

·        Openstack voting has begun

o   https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/vote-for-speakers/#/22013

o   https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/vote-for-speakers/#/22000

[ELF] There was a very short voting period this time around, and it’s already closed

AOB:

-        Collectd container split: Need to check whether the separate container build jobs (master and stable) are configured correctly; so we can start adding config and build support for newer features (Emma/Kamil)

 

07/30/2018



 

07/24/2018



07/03/2018

  • Barometer CI

  • Al

    • TST010 -- Using Barometer test code to invoke faults

  • Lucakz

    • Virt plugin enhancements by end of week

    • 106 WIP

    • John, Prometheus WIP to be removed soon

  • Test lab /hardware for Nokia / RedFish

    • Pharos Lab

    • Non OpenStack installed hardware

    • UNH

    • Sunku to send contacts for Intel

    • Requestor to send e-mail

  • Prometheus / collectd native times stamp


06/12/2018

06/05/2018

  • DMA team (Tomo) to present a demo of Local Agent collecting OpenStack metadata.

    • One of the features of the DMA project is to collect virtual infrastructure information from OpenStack and make it available to collectd so that metadata can be added to metrics / events.

    • Tomo gave a demo of Local Agent using OpenStack API to gather metadata information for use by Collectd.

  • Development

    • VM -- Names

    • Proposal

    • Variable defined

  • Nomination of new contributors

  • Self Healing Sig

    • Use case templates about DMA project and local healing

    • What about 5 9’s

    • White paper on Barometer’s role in self-healing / availability

    • Originally discussed in Sydney

    • What should be included and what people care about

    • NEC, Verizon, etc…

    • Focus is HA.

  • Go over monitoring paper

    • Go with Confluence Wiki on Barometer home page

  • New dedicated resource for collectd.

    • Ryan McCabe (Red Hat)

05/29/2018

  • Barometer OS Summit

    • Starting to use collectd, Barometer

    • What different plugins available?  Turns out most are already in Barometer

    • Feedback was good

    • Questions

    • Prometheus was mentioned -- Mostly about host to get data into Prometheus from collectd.  Not necessarily replacing collectd.

  • Virt Plugin

    • 3 missing variables.  

    • Added to JIRA

  • Ovs-stats

    • Extended DPDK stats

    • JC to check

  • PMU Plugin Wiki updates

  • Al Morton

    • List of VES metrics meeting this week

    • Going to agree with Al that IPMI are important.  What will we do with those on ETSI side?

    • Give feedback to Al on VES.

  • NFVI Monitoring White Paper

    • Create google doc

    • Start outline

    • Should cover why to monitor specific metrics / conditions, not just these are the things that are available to monitor.

  • Sunku --

    • List of projects (OPNFV, etc…, )

    • Sunku to e-mail...

    • Had a chat Sando - Paul

    • Call at end of week

    • Self healing Sig

05/22/2018

05/08/2018 --

  • Gambia release planning

    • Gambia release will concentrate on maintenance and support of plugins delivered in Fraser release.

    • Need to check on status of ovs-dpdk-stats, ovs-dpdk-events plugins

    • One or two features might be added -- TBD

  • Need code review of container build changes!  Gerrit # -- 53805

  • Standards

  • VES

  • Prometheus

05/01/2018 --

  • Gambia Release -- traditional release

    • Need scenarios and deliverables defined by May 11

  • Gambia Additions

    • Cpu pinning

    • NUMA node characteristics

    • What to do about (mostly) static information?

    • May need modification to RAS

      • MCElog might be incomplete

      • Looking at out of band platform hardware

    • How to get metadata?

    • More information added to virt plugin?

    • Additional plugins?

    • Additional containers?

    • Ceilometer replacement?

  • Need code review of container build changes!  Gerrit # -- 53805

  • Standards

  • VES

  • Prometheus

    • Interest in using Prometheus as polling engine / TSDB

    • Prometheus_collectd_exporter vs. Prometheus_node_exporter

04/24/2018 --

  • Gambia Release

    • Not clear on XCI requirements.  

    • When do the tests need to be in place for XCI?

    • Traditional, XCI, both?

    • What are tentative development goals for the Gambia release?

  • RPMs / Container build

  • Standards

    • Analytics processing tasks need info all the way down to the agent layer

    • Need to make sure there’s a measurement timestamp to provide context

    • Yes, scope parameter makes that possible

    • Scope must be conveyed with the measurements

    • All the info we’re collecting will end up in analytic engines

    • Does test008 spec have the flexibility to talk about measurement of network interface using a particular VLAN tag?

  • VES

    • Multi-VM reqs

    • 6.0 specs on the way (next week)

  • Compass support -- not for Gambia or Fraser?

    • Barometer will be supported in Gambia

  • HA scenario issues with build

    • A problem with OOO?

    • Fails every third build or so.

    • Will be looked at soon (next week)

  • Edge Cloud

    • Categories

    • Use cases

    • Use cases where latency is critical

    • Example feedback loop?

    • Requirements

    • Latency

    • What does lightweight mean in the context of edge telemetry?

04/17/2018 --

  • Spoke with DMA project team.  They are ok with working in a separate container.  They will swing back in a few weeks with a demo.

  • Standards with Al Morton

    • No updates

  • VES with Bryan Sullivan

    • Most work done by Goku

    • Bryan will update VES for latest release to make sure it works with everything

    • Plan is place to move items forward in Barometer

  • RPMs with Leif

    • Making progress

  • Func tests

    • Will not support Compass this cycle

  • Collectd pull requests

  • Release

    • Flexibility with milestones, since you establish them yourself?

    • Bryan doesn’t think we should do traditional path -- not enough resources

    • FCI could be a good thing if it marries VES and Barometer

    • Gambia path or something else?

    • Which track do we follow?

    • Continuous delivery

  • Edge Cloud

    • Need categories

    • Always about latency for faults and metrics

    • Framework and edge computing use cases would be good

    • Good for cloud-native

    • What is a cloud?  What value does opensource ecosystem get from:

      • Common telemetry date model

      • Consistent set of mechanisms by which data delivered to collector

    • Less than 1% CPU, and 5% memory

    • Two VES encodings: C and Java

    • Goku: tokenized VES data structure

    • Overhead of data and complexity of stack

    • Go from binary XML to tokenized JSON

    • Current implementation is not lightweight but is “easy”

    • Use gzip, as it is natively available to HTTP stack (works out of box)

    • What are the requirements?

    • Is VES a good fit?

    • How lightweight?

04/10/18 --

  • DMA Project discussion

    • Positive feedback on DMA proposal.  Want to move forward.

    • Work should be done in a separate container.

  • Standards

    • Al has been reviewing Alok’s VES proposals.  Found some VMWare specific items. Vendor-specific provisions are discouraged.  Al to talk with Alok ;).

    • VES is starting to incorporate some TOSCA information.

  • Collectd

    • Emma suggested that all collectd PRs be from the same fork, Barometer, in order to make collectd aware of who the reviews are for.

    • Also, should have more Red Hat people reviewing collectd.  Need to talk with local Red Hatters.

  • VES

    • Bryan returned.  Wants to keep the VES agent development moving forward.  Did not know about DDS messaging stuff in ONAP. However, see’s that Kafka is not set in stone.  What to do at the edge.

  • General

    • Next week I will be out.  Andrew Bays will run meeting.

04/03/18 --

  • DMA Project

    • Run time reconfiguration of collectd.  There were some questions as to whether this should be a feature of something like an Ansible playbook.

    • Topology annotation.  Questions about security and what information would be included.  It was stated that only infrastructure information would be annotated.  

    • Data reduction and analysis at the edge.

    • DMA project should be an add-on.  Might need to be able to “unwind” project in the future.

    • Presentation given by Tomofumi Hayashi.  Slides available on the wiki.

    • Major takeaways…

    • OPNFV Bottlenecks project using Barometer container

  • Development

    • Thanks to Emma for updating the docs and helping track down Funtest issues

    • Still seeing an error with Functest… seems to be related to Functest, not Barometer.  Emma tracked down the internal Barometer issues!

    • Barometer container -> multistage build from RPMs progressing slowly..

  • ONS recap

03/20/18 --

  • Made MS6...

  • Next upcoming milestone, MS7, April 6th -- last day to request a stable branch.  Can request one anytime until then.

  • After than MS8, April 16, completion of testing

  • Current Fraser status

    • test_add_remove_volume

    • test_attach_volume_nowait

    • test_detach_volume_nowait

    • ….

    • Perhaps it was a system / connectivity failure?

    • Results not appearing quickly enough due to Gnocchi archive policy

    • Change default policy to High

    • Need to modify the tests to perform specific failure action

    • api_check failing

    • Emma good catch on Hugepages failing fix

    • Gnocchi failures

    • AODH failures

  • REDFISH Plugin

    • Purpose  -- node or rack?

    • Design review

  • Standards Update

  • VES Updates

    • ONAP flow

    • Vendor VNF

    • Closed loop control

    • Services goes into VNF

    • Any missing heatheats

    • At the FM layer

    • Progress on ETSI?

    • VES Mobile edge platforms?

    • Is there a cadvisor plugin for collectd?

    • C, Java VES libraries

    • Microservice heatbeat

03/13/18 --

  • Functest debug and then power loss ;(

03/06/18 --

  • Milestone 5 complete

    • Scenario deployment passed

    • Functest failing

  • MS6 03/16/18

    • Test case implementation completed.

    • Preliminary documentation completed.

    • First day that projects may request creation of the stable branch for their project.

  • APEX

    • Functests failing

    • Virtual deploy -- RDT, Hugepages…  Should we skip during virtual deploy?

    • APEX deployment help -- Aaron has a test setup running and can answer questions.

  • Collectd

    • PRs

  • DMA project would like to have another meeting (possibly at ONS)

  • Did you get your feedback to Alok?  I know I didn’t yet :(.

    • Want to get comments by the 15th

    • Produce a spec update by end of March

    • Have a weekly update

  • VES Update

    • VES Project into ETSI

    • Parts of the project, metric / event definitions, transport

    • Pair things down to what’s important

    • 10’s of collectors at present

  • VES mobile edge platforms

    • CAdvisor plugin for collectd?

    • Maybe try in the Barometer container?

02/27/18 --

  • Milestone 5 approaching

    • Thanks for the help on Apex and Barometer

    • Tracked down issue with deploy

  • Standards Update

  • VES Update

  • Barometer containers to be part of RDO release

    • Team to work on building Kolla containers

    • AMQP1.0 container being built

02/20/18 --

  • Collectd on Cumulus

    • Open Compute / Networking

  • Standards Updates?

  • VES Updates?

  • Development

    • Apex scenarios are currently failing

    • Ansible script reviews in progress

    • MS5 approaching

  • Barometer next?

02/13/18 --

  • Should Barometer Graduate? (https://www.opnfv.org/software/technical-project-governance/project-lifecycle)

    • Are we a part of enough scenarios (another installer)?

    • Would be a good recognition of the work done by Barometer

    • Have had good recognition at shows (OpenStack Summit, OPNFV, etc)

    • Bryan would be supportive of applying for graduation

    • No definitive answer, but positive reception

  • Standards Update (Al)

    • Meeting with IFA working group completed work on all measurement content.  Al provided an edit / rewrite of the document and resubmitted.

    • Discussion of GAPs in Baromter

  • VES Update

    • Bryan working on Barometer Kubernetes scenario.  Should be ready soon. Barometer as DaemonSet

    • Conversion of VES to gRPC in the testing phase.

  • Development Update

    • Ansible scripts submitted to Gerrit

    • Clarification that plugins not in collectd yet should still make it into Barometer / Fraser

  • (MS5) Scenario integration and feature freeze -- 03/02/18

  • Good discussion on “What’s next for Barometer”

    • Scope expansion -- Should Barometer move beyond metrics / events to policy

    • Scope continuation into container space --

  • OPNFV Barometer people going to ONS in March

    • Aaron

    • Al

    • Bryan

    • ??


·         Filed exception for MS5

o    Sept 18th meeting for approval


  • No labels