ETSI NFV ISG MANO architecture : Summary
The Normative reference for ETSI NFV MANO v1.1.1 (gs_NFV-MAN001v010101) is detailed and associated standards and extensions are listed in table ETSI and Related Standards below. With the latest advances done by the ETSI NFV in phase 2, it was produced a new document by IFA009 providing a report on architectural options and by IFA010 providing a functional requirements specification.
The most important aspects of requirements for Network Function Virtualization (NFV) are listed in section 4 of ETSI GS NFV 001.
The three sections 4.1 MANO for Virtual Infrastructure(VI) , 4.2 MANO for Virtual network functions(VNF) and 4.3 MANO for Network Service (NS). An additional sections others in 4.4 covers the aspects of (Fault,Configuration, Accounting, Performance & Security) FCAPS. Other sections and Appendix cover the example functions, flows, sample descriptor to help implement the reference NFV MANO modules. The OPNFV reference is derived from this and technical overview is available here.
We start top down here but it holds true even if you address bottom up starting VIM as we do in OPNFV. Note the Greens below in ETSI reference diagram below indicates that OPNFV started with those 2 blocks to build OPNFV.
The two yellow boxes indicate that we are considering opening up implementations in Open and generic way for Vendors and service providers to collaborate through OPNFV efforts. The Software has moved ahead and our goal here is to reduce divergence and yet allow innovation for competing Vendors to differentiate their products based on Standards / De-facto Standards as it evolves in next few cadence of OPNFV development cycle along with ETSI standards consolidation.
- OSS/BSS needs NFVO for Network Services Orchestration & Management (Section 4/5 in doc)
- NFVO : O&M of Network Service Descriptor (NSD)
- VNFM : O&M of VNF Descriptor (VNFD)
- VIM : O&M NFVI(POPs) and Resources (VM,VN,VS)
- Other FCAPS for Service (Section 4&5)
- First Priority for MANO work group is to come up with common minimum Interfaces/calls/APis for Generic VNFM (gVNFM) and flexibility to allow
- NFVO to Orchestrate indirectly (through gVNFM) or directly manage the NFVI through VIM.
- RAS in another aspect besides FCAPS to be noted.
In the release 2 of ETSI NFV, IFA provided new specifications for the reference points mentioned above:
- IFA005: Or-Vi http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-IFA/001_099/005/02.01.01_60/gs_nfv-ifa005v020101p.pdf
- IFA006: Vi-Vnfm: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-IFA/001_099/006/02.01.01_60/gs_nfv-ifa006v020101p.pdf
- IFA007: Or-Vnfm: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-IFA/001_099/007/02.01.01_60/gs_nfv-ifa007v020101p.pdf
- IFA008: Ve-Vnfm: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-IFA/001_099/008/02.01.01_60/gs_nfv-ifa008v020101p.pdf
- IFA013: Os-Ma-Nfvo: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-IFA/001_099/013/02.01.01_60/gs_nfv-ifa013v020101p.pdf
Based on the above, following is guidelines suggested to projects in OPNFV to ensure start with Or-Vi and Vi-Vnfm Interfaces and associated APIs as start point for integration and testing. Interfaces 1,2,3 are associated with NFVO, 4,5,6 with VNFM and 7,8,9 with VIM all being read clockwise in the diagram on the the 3 layer MANO stack below.
Until MANO Interface APIs common minimum are agreed between Standards and Software implementations , OPNFV MANO work-group would like to take a Black box approach to the MANO Stack and try use use cases to drive the implementations. These use case may be driven by upstream or through OPNFV projects. Some of the evolving ones we see are from NetReady, OPEN-O, OSM , Open Baton and other service providers like AT&T, China Mobile who like to push based on their varying requirements. The use case scenarios such as L3VPN, SFC, Ipv6, Mobile Edge Cloud, Mobile Core functions like vEPC, vIMS and other Fixed Network requirements in underlay and overlay for path computing and data-plane acceleration etc. will need reviewing on periodic basis and we believe at this stage a Release based road-map from SP & C&C team in Board and TSC interactions to arrive at reasonable approach to market validation, will be the key driver going forward. This is covered through other standards like IETF, OASIS, ONF and some our home grown projects like NetReady listed below in the tables.
In addition to the reference-points, ETSI NFV provides a specification for the information model:
- IFA011: VNF Package specification: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-IFA/001_099/011/02.01.01_60/gs_nfv-ifa011v020101p.pdf
- IFA014: Network Service Templates specification: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-IFA/001_099/014/02.01.01_60/gs_nfv-ifa014v020101p.pdf
ETSI and Related Standards:
Wiki Link Platform/Use Cases
Reference Documents for MANO
Refer YANG Guidelines
Use Cases with YANG Data Models
NFV ISG MANO architecture
Free login -Register
Use Cases with Data Models
Refer TOSCA specs
Use Cases with TOSCA Templates
Review old disbanded project https://wiki.opnfv.org/display/PROJ/Opnfv+Platform+Characterization
Use case CIM/DMs Difference
Review use cases in NetReady: https://wiki.opnfv.org/display/netready
Active through Gluon in OpenStack.
Glossary of terms used in MANO working Group
Business Support Services Description
Domain Specific Languages (eg. TOSCA)
Euro. Telecom Standards Institute
Management & Network Orchestration
Internet Engineering Task Force
Network Function Virtualization
Network Service Descriptor
Open Platform for NFV
Open Network Foundation
Operation Support Services
(OpenStack + SDN Controller) - ref Pharos Project
Open Source MANO
Topology & Orchestration Specification for Cloud Applications
Reliability, Accessibility & Serviceability
Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance & Security
Software Defined Networking Controller
Virtual Network Function
Yet Another Next Generation (Data Modeling Language)
Virtual Infrastructure Manager
|YAML||YAML Ain't a Markup Language|