This project has been terminated and archived
Project: Models (Model-Driven NFV)
This project will address various goals for promoting availability and convergence of information and/or data models related to NFV service/VNF management, as being defined in standards (SDOs) and as developed in open source projects.
The Models doc source, code, and tests are available at:
- OPNFV github (generally updated with 30 minutes of merged commits)
- OPNFV gitweb
- To clone from the OPNFV repo, see the instructions at the Gerrit project page
What's happening in the Models project right now, and how can I get involved?
Most current work is focused on the development of modeled VNF lifecycle management test tools, and use case tests (blueprints for demo and reference VNFs) and deployment/test tools for supporting platform stacks, including those focused on:
- VM-based stacks e.g. OpenStack, as cloud controller for current/legacy VNF designs
- Container-based stacks e.g. Kubernetes, Docker-CE, Rancher, as cloud controller for "cloud-native" VNF designs
- Modeled VNF lifecycle management in hybrid-cloud environments that blend the two above
- for model-driven lifecycle tests, integration of various orchestration/automation tools e.g. Cloudify, Tacker, ONAP
If you have an interest in the areas of work above you can get engaged by reaching out to the Models project team thru the firstname.lastname@example.org mail list. Preface your subject with [Models] so the Models team will be sure to see your mail. Describe what your interest is, what type of focus/skills you can bring to the team.
Related wiki pages (NOTE: cleanup of earlier wiki content is in progress... some pages are out of date):
- Project Planning
- Main work items
- Development of test tools and tests for certification of OPNFV reference platform distributions and VNFs as compatible with the modeled VNF lifecycle management of ONAP.
- Testing for usecases, with the goal to include the tests in OPNFV CI/CD thru FuncTest
- events focused on tests/demos or in general publicizing work of the project
- Project scratchpad is at the Models etherpad page
- Meetings (logistics, agendas, minutes): see the Models project meetings page
- For IRC logs, see the ".html" files at the Models IRC logs page
- NOTE: No regular meetings are currently scheduled. Feel free to call for a meeting as needed.
Alignment with Upstream Projects
The Models project's earlier focus on promoting information/data model support in open source, and alignment with standards, has been upstreamed to ONAP as work of the Modeling subcomittee. This includes:
- Comparison of how various open source projects define/implement service/VNF packages and package elements e.g. the various descriptors (also referred to as blueprints or templates). The Comparison page includes tables that are intended to help assess the degree of convergence across these projects, and guide the development of use case tests that confirm the analysis results. Such tests will include service/VNF models that include the packaging approach and descriptor data (e.g. node types, relationships, and other attributes) which are in common across several VNFM/NFVO projects.
- Fleshing out end-to-end lifecycle for services and VNFs, with focus on how models for those services/VNFs are created, onboarded, and deployed, in collaboration with other projects thru the MANO Working Group e.g. as shown on the page VNF Onboarding.
- Development of higher-level abstractions for how services and infrastructure is modeled through Information Models. Providing implementation/interoperability feedback to where the work is being driven (e.g. ONF, BBF, MEF, OASIS, TM Forum, ETSI, ...) remains a Models project goal.
The earlier work items below are not being pursued in OPNFV, following the launch of ONAP:
- collaboration via agile communication with SDOs, other open source projects, and other OPNFV projects
- e.g. via JIRA, so that OPNFV and SDOs can set goals, share progress on various model-related issues, and provide feedback on implementation/test experience
- work with various OPNFV projects (e.g. Movie, Parser, Promise, Copper, SFC, etc) to coordinate on models proposed for testing, and to feedback results to the SDOs
- references to
- standard models that can be roadmapped for analysis and verification thru use case testing on the OPNFV platform
- other source information that will help us align on modeling concepts, e.g. from standards, open source projects, websites, ...
- comparison of approaches to defining/processing Service/VNF packages, descriptors, and descriptor features
- tools for model analysis, development, deployment, ...
- leverage/develop tools and processes for comparative analysis of standardized models and defacto models derived from open source documentation or code, and promote actions for key issues arising from the analysis
Key Project Facts
Link to project proposal: https://wiki.opnfv.org/project_proposals/models
Recent space activity