With the emergence of 5G and other technologies, new services with high throughput and low latency, such as AR/VR, automatic drive, and etc., make edge cloud an important rising scenario for Telco Operators. The so called edge clouds may include customer premises equipment, access-level DC, county-level DC and municipal-level DC. Multiple new services and applications from both telco operators and 3rd party companies will be deployed at the edge to meet the requirement for low latency and enhanced enable new services and enhance customer experience. Therefore, operators have to re-design or reconstruct their edge central office to fit into deliver these diversified new services, and in the meantime reduce their CAPEX and OPEX. These edge Edge clouds share the a similar but simplified NFV+SDN architecture as the core DC , and it has more complicated implementation details but has more implementation constraints and complexity due to limited physical environment of edge DC and harsher space and power, more distributed heterogeneous environments and stricter service requirements.
Carrier-scale edge cloud has the following features:
This project will focus on the reference platform design of a Reference Platform for edge cloud, and is intended to output a limited number of scenarios specifically designed for edge, which will meet the varied requirement from End Users.
) Requirements analysis.
- Analyze and conclude the requirement requirements of multiple edge services (MEC, CRAN, vCPE, vOLT, vCDN, etc.)
- Reflect Translate edge-service requirements into deployment location and requirements including NFV/SDN component requirement requirements (NFVO, VNFM, VIM, Hypervisor, VSW, HW, etc.)
- Guide evolution of Pharos specification suitable for edge cloud scenarios.
2) Scenario design
- Define and release a limited number of scenarios for edge cloud taking consideration of the analyzed requirements
3) Upstream collaboration
- Collaborate with OpenStack, ONAP, Akraino, ODL and other related community to finish the requirement for requirements analysis and scenario design
- Output detailed requirement requirements for each component components to related relevant project/s.
4) Testing strategy
- Define and develop test strategy and test cases for edge specific testing (e.g. low latency requirement of the stack in edge, performance in specific edge scenarios, and etc.)
- Tests developed may also be used by Dovetail if OVP is extended to include edge platforms.
- The project will focus on design and development of reference platform of edge cloud in OPNFV.
- Scope includes NFVI, VIM, MANO.
- The scope excludes developing edge VNFs or Apps.
- OPNFV CI/CD and testing methodologies will be extended with use cases specific to the types of edge stack that has been defined by this project
- Requirement analysis for edge cloud
- Architecture design for edge cloud
- scenario discription Scenario description for edge cloud
- upstream Upstream analysis for edge cloud