- Proposed name for the project: Stor
- Proposed name for the repository: stor
For NFV to be successful, it must address a large range of use cases. Some of these require access to very large amounts of storage, such as 1) hi-definition video streaming for use with virtual Content Delivery Network (CDN); 2) persistent routing tables; 3) crash recovery (application and network state); 4) Mobile Edge Computing (MEC), etc. Taking vCDN as an example, OPNFV does not currently address some of the needs of vCDN, such as: content caching; load balancing; tenant isolation; and scalability.
A new project Stor4NFV is proposed to focus on its needs alongside other scenarios, and to be optimized for the needs of NFV; especially for storage intensive use cases such as vCDN.
I/O performance improvements will be one initial target, but we also need to consider scaling and stability factors as well. Ultimately storage will need to progress to be a key part of the entire OPNFV architecture, including but not limited to: service assurance; platform capabilities; integration with networking stacks, and testing.
Specifically, for I/O optimization details, we are looking at the following areas in the Stor4NFV project:
- Client RDB cache to accelerate Ceph I/O read and write
- High throughput and low latency solution based on all flash storage media
- Customized optimization approaches for different sorts of data, such as small data and large data
- Integration of OpenSDS and Ceph with the OPNFV platform
A flexible and performant storage project would be of benefit to all NFV use cases (from communication through to enterprise). By targeting a storage intensive use case we will ensure that storage does not become an unexpected bottleneck for NFV applications.
The output of the project will be:
- A list of the performance goals, which will be collected by OPNFV members
- A set of recommended hardware and software, and comprehensive instructions of system configurations and settings, including hardware settings, OpenSDS as well as Ceph configuration and network topology for deployment, etc.
- Pull requests as well as patches for performance optimization to the upstream OpenSDS and Ceph
- Benchmark and profiling tools to measure the overall performance of the storage, including latency, bandwidth, throughput etc. for different data scenarios
In addition, we will also consider the following integration factors with OPNFV and OpenStack:
- Storage solution to support rapid launch for VNF auto-scaling with OpenStack
- Multiple hypervisor support, such as running KVM on Ceph, running container on Ceph, etc.
- VNF HA support with storage, i.e., live migration and evacuation with OpenSDS Ceph and OpenStack
- Infrastructure validation with Yardstick and test with Storperf
- Installers for Stor4NFV deployment, we will support Apex and Compass
- Stor4NFV will support all OPNFV testing programs.
Committers and Contributors:
Names and affiliations of the committers:
- Tushar Gohad: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Xiaoyan Li: email@example.com
- Yuan Liu: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Qiaowei Ren: email@example.com
- Haomai Wang: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leon Wang: email@example.com
- Holloway He: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kexue Luo: email@example.com
- Xingguo Xie: firstname.lastname@example.org
Names and affiliations of any other contributors:
- Junwei Liu: email@example.com
- Brian Skerry: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shane Wang: email@example.com
- Howard Huang: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jingbo Hao: email@example.com
- Mark Beierl: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The project will package OpenSDS and Ceph upstream code into installer, set up OPNFV hardware/utilities/config for CI/CD, and perform integration tests
- The project will integrate the implementation of client RBD cache into Ceph for performance optimization, and upstream the feature
Proposed Release Schedule:
- First release in F
Use the above information to create a key project facts section on your project page
Key Project Facts
Project Name: Stor4NFV
Repo name: stor4nfv
Lifecycle State: Proposal
Primary Contact: Shane Wang, Intel
Project Lead: Shane Wang, Intel
Jira Project Name: Same as Project name
Jira Project Prefix: stor4nfv
mailing list tag [Should match Jira Project Prefix]
*Link to TSC approval: http://meetbot.opnfv.org/meetings/opnfv-meeting/2017/opnfv-meeting.2017-08-29-12.58.html
Link to approval of additional submitters: